Why are all the planets round?

Encountered a "new" argument that we haven't addressed? Post it here.

Why are all the planets round?

Postby DjVortex » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 am

I have seen many references to one of the most stupid creationist arguments ever: "Why are all the planets round?"

The problem is that I have only seen that question. I have not seen the argumentation that leads to it anywhere. Could someone enlighten me as to what the actual argument is? I'm just morbidly curious.
DjVortex

Postby eimerian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

I too have never seen this spelled out as an argument, but I guess the train of though is something like this:

Order can only exist if there is a god in charge of everything or at least if natural laws were established by a god. A godless cosmos would be chaotic and random.
As all planets are spherical and not just randomly-shaped, this implies some kind of order and perfection that one would not find in a godless cosmos.
Therefore there must be a god.

Of course this is wrong for many reasons...[/list]
Jesus saves.
Do not remove memory card, controller, or reset/switch off the console.
eimerian

Re: Why are all the planets round?

Postby gauSSian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:49 am

The planets are round because the gravitational equipotentials are spherical. :lol:
Living in their pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Don't you know though our kids are dumb, we got smart bombs, what a joyous thing!—Oingo Boingo, "War Again" (1993)
gauSSian

Return to New Arguments