Another New Person

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Another New Person

Postby Eilonnwy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi everyone. :D

My name is Jackie and I'm from Boston, MA. And I suck at these introduction type thingies. :P Anyway, I'm a fan of The Atheist Experience and The Non-Prophets, and like many fans not in Texas, I found them via youtube and the rest followed.

I am an Atheist, been one since I was around 16 and I'm a member of the Boston Atheists meetup group. I work for the City of Boston doing data entry type stuff for building, electrical, plumbing, and gas permits. I'm a huge cat lover and I'm into things like sci-fi and fantasy books/tv, anime, cosplay, and conventions. I'm also support gay rights and positive atheism and I have an atheist blog called Candy Coloured Frown.

I was raised and baptised Catholic. My call to atheism began when a priest did a lecture on Confirmation and told us that it was a choice not tradition. As a result I started thinking about the doubts I already had, but never gave any credence to. I made the transition from doubting, to non-catholic, to deist, to agnostic, and finally atheist. (I say agnostic in the colloquial term, I now consider myself an agnostic atheist given the actual definition of agnostic). I think I realized I was truly an atheist when I was dealing with a lot of depression in my life and came to the realization that I can control my life and need to stop expecting quick fixes. So I refused drugs and therapy and instead dealt with my problems by reaching out to friends and turning to positive things when my life seemed really bad. This helped me to deal with my situational depression and as a result I've always embraced the notion that you're responsible for your own actions, good or bad and that you can to some extent control the situations that you are in. God has nothing to do with it.

So there's me in a nutshell, sort of. I look forward to meeting and talking with people. :D
~Jackie
Candy Coloured Frown

"Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
Eilonnwy

Postby donnyton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi and welcome!

Boston's a liberal city...as is Austin. Does that mean the atheist presence is much stronger there than usual? It was after all the city where the pedophile priests were first exposed, I think.
"To say that it's not okay to believe in something that may or may not be true is ridiculous. Some people like to have that mystical fantasy in the world. It adds flavor."
donnyton

Postby dromedaryhump1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Jackie,
Welcome.
I'm not far from you..I live in NH, the SW corner.

I have a pet peeve and a bone to pick with you. As a Boston resident I hold you personally responsible for the inane, annoyoing, and neverending assault of Bob's Discount Furniture, Bernie and Phyl's Furniture, Jordan's Furnitiure, and Cardis Furniture TV ads.

WTF exactly is it with Boston and furniture??? Can't you stop it? Can you at least have Bob, that idiot woman cohort of his, and the Octagenarians and their two insipid sons beaten senseless?

Ok, I feel better now.
:x
Hump
dromedaryhump1

Postby Eilonnwy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 am

donnyton - As far as meeting Atheists? I would say my friends are a healthy mix of theists, atheists, and everything in between. But as for the group Boston Atheists, it's nowhere near as extensive as the ACA, we're still in a growing phase. I'm a brand new member myself.

dromedaryhump1 - I understand. I hate them too. But it was amusing when Jordan's furniture did the Red Sox thing and everyone got free furniture. My roommate lamented that she wished she had gotten furniture.
~Jackie
Candy Coloured Frown

"Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
Eilonnwy

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)