Intro: BunniRabbi

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Intro: BunniRabbi

Postby BunniRabbi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello all, I'm the BunniRabbi.

I'm in the atypical position of being a religious atheist, and studying to join the clergy. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, so my faith doesn't require a belief in any god(s) or anything supernatural. (To be clear, UUs aren't barred from believing in god or supernatural elements either.)

A pet peeve of mine is the way people sometimes use 'atheist' as a synonym for 'non-religious', or make generalized comments about religious people without considering non-theist or non-supernatural religious beliefs. I grant that the majority can be described thus, but as a member of a religious minority, I don't much like being forgotten. Plus, removing those traits from religion seems to fix so many problems, I can't help but advocate it.

On the flip side, I also find myself on religious-themed forums arguing against the principle that faith doesn't have to concede to reason. Like many of the people on this site, I tend to see that as a cop-out.

My theological training has involved a great deal of scripture reading, from various faiths, and I find this very useful in arguing against fundamentalist and literalist interpretations. Quoting Bible passages that strike against conservative and fundamentalist stances can be very satisfying. I'm definitely on the religious left.

I also try to advocate a basic humility in atheists. As many have noted, there does tend to be a certain smugness amongst those of us who don't believe in god. I understand why the feeling emerges, because we so often find the ideological opposition putting forth something ridiculous. Likewise a familiarity with scientific principles can make one feel that their point is unassailable. The thing is, that also requires a certain ignorance of those principles as well. Taking a few epistemology and philosophy of science classes often does the job of removing that smugness, for all the value of science being great, showing the follower of science how shaky the foundations are. Likewise for the dogmatically religious, studying religion in depth can often create a similar humility (and often, atheism). Education empowers us.

Similarly, I advocate a general spirituality in a science-friendly worldview. A good example of this being Symphony of Science; http://symphonyofscience.com/
If they tell you there is no such thing as truth, ask them if that statement is true or false.
BunniRabbi

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)