Miracle Spring Water

Open discussion for all registered members.

Miracle Spring Water

Postby Dust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:39 pm

:lol:

I collect religious propaganda, and trinkets. I was watching Peter Poppoff on tv the other day. He has a faith healing show on one of the god channels, where he is curing people of arthritis, cancer, and drug addiction withdrawals. He offers this "Miracle Spring Water" for free! This water is guaranteed to cure any ailment.

I couldn't resist to call and order some for my missing pinky toe, that I lost on a spaceship as I was escaping a recent alien abduction.

I explained the situation to the person on the phone, and that I desperately wanted to grow my pinky toe back. So she added me to the prayer list, and sent me the water.

I got my water today. It is not all that easy to apply. You have to sleep with it a night, then do some praying and a few more rituals, then send $12.00, and drink the water.

Just thought I would share.
Dust

Postby mvester » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:24 am

Peter Popoff has been doing that scam for years. Hope you did not send any money.

Back in 1987, James Randi and his assistant, Steve Shaw exposed Peter and his wife scamming his flock with an old psychic trick. Everyone has to fill out special forms before they were admitted. Peter's wife would send the information to Peter via a hidden earphone and receiver. Peter and his wife had this scam well rehearsed. It looked like Peter was getting messages from god.

James Randi and Steve Shaw tapped into Peter's radio frequency and caught the whole spectacle on video tape. Peter Popoff promptly went bankrupt. Now Peter seems to be doing all right with the "Miracle Spring Water" scam. Popoff's salary in 2004 was over $500,000, and his assets include a 2006 Porsche convertible worth $90,000.

Wikipedia has an article on Peter Popoff.

Peter Popoff is a perfect example how faith makes people gullible.
I can do one thing that God can't, I can prove that I exist.
mvester

Postby feagal » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:22 am

:lol:

Best story I've heard all day and I haven't slept for 24 hours due to work.
"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and... know nothing but the word of God."
feagal

Postby Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:50 am

mvester wrote:Peter Popoff has been doing that scam for years. Hope you did not send any money.

Back in 1987, James Randi and his assistant, Steve Shaw exposed Peter and his wife scamming his flock with an old psychic trick. Everyone has to fill out special forms before they were admitted. Peter's wife would send the information to Peter via a hidden earphone and receiver. Peter and his wife had this scam well rehearsed. It looked like Peter was getting messages from god.

James Randi and Steve Shaw tapped into Peter's radio frequency and caught the whole spectacle on video tape. Peter Popoff promptly went bankrupt. Now Peter seems to be doing all right with the "Miracle Spring Water" scam. Popoff's salary in 2004 was over $500,000, and his assets include a 2006 Porsche convertible worth $90,000.

Wikipedia has an article on Peter Popoff.

Peter Popoff is a perfect example how faith makes people gullible.

Of coarse I didn't send any money.

Thats wild though. I didn't know James Randi had exposed him. I just did a quick Google search, and found this youtube video if anyone wants to see it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJ3Ko0XnPRc
Dust

Postby mvester » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:49 am

Dust wrote:Of coarse I didn't send any money.

Thats wild though. I didn't know James Randi had exposed him. I just did a quick Google search, and found this youtube video if anyone wants to see it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJ3Ko0XnPRc

Yes, that was the piece I saw. Popoff is a very evil man. Exploiting weak and sick people with fake, not faith, healing. Faith healing, if it does work, is because of its placebo effect.
I can do one thing that God can't, I can prove that I exist.
mvester

Postby Diagoras » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:39 am

I just learned about this today while listening to the most recent episode of the Tank podcast put out by the Australian Skeptics. It's pretty funny; they called up Popoff's ministry and they describe all the crap the scammers sent them in the mail. Here are the links to the audio and video versions of the podcast:

http://www.skeptics.com.au/tank/071102.mp3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BPZKoQthY
“Oh Neddy, it was terrifying. I thought I was headed for the eternal bliss of paradise!â€
Diagoras

Return to General Discussion