"Nessie" Is A Dinosaur? That's What We're Teaching.

Open discussion for all registered members.

"Nessie" Is A Dinosaur? That's What We're Teaching.

Postby bigraj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/loch-ness-monster-real-dinosaur-biology-books-taught-louisiana-school-article-1.1102340

Granted, it's just one private Christian school here in the state, but it's kinda scary what religious people are able to put into a science class. Guess they'll squeeze in Bigfoot somehwere, too. The "bible math" was mentioned in the article, as well. WTF is that?

Maybe we should start looking to griffins and other mythological creatures as proof of evolution. "We haven't found a croco-duck, but there's this lion/eagle hybrid mentioned in all these ancient stories. Close enough, right?"
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
bigraj

Re: "Nessie" Is A Dinosaur? That's What We're Teaching.

Postby Kebab » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 pm

With this level of education I wouldn't be too surprised when they'd finally understand that evolution is a fact but think that finding croco-duck or griffins would prove evolution "without a doubt" when in fact it would disprove our current understanding of evolution.
Kebab

Re: "Nessie" Is A Dinosaur? That's What We're Teaching.

Postby Lausten » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I was here http://www.rmdrc.com/ this summer and took the tour with a real live paleontologist as my guide. He said something about monsters, and just for fun, I asked him about Nessie. To my surprise, he gave me a serious answer. He noted that when searching for any rare creature, you look at habitat. Loch Ness is capable of supporting a small population of very large fishy creature. He also looked at the evidence. There is one photograph of a fin from the 70's and a few pictures of things moving at the surface. The famous neck and head shot have been debunked. Then he named a type of dinosaur and suggested Nessie was a descendant of that. He compared this to the search for Bigfoot, which has no such evidence.

I didn't evaluate the attached article and make no claim that this has anything to do with it.
Lausten

Return to General Discussion