Most US Christians define own theology

Post links to video, audio, images or other media items. Funny or informative

Postby kyokuma_jr » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Something relating to a few discussed topics over the current shows of "Believers" creating their own religion.

Souce: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090114/ts_csm/atheology
"Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks" (Psalms 137:9).
kyokuma_jr

Postby donnyton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Wait, I'm still not completely sure about one statistic.

When they ask "Can people from other religions get eternal life" it's possible that many Christians answer "yes" on the survey but REALLY mean "yes if they convert to Christianity" but the survey may just take it as "yes their religion can get them eternal life"

Anybody else notice that?
"To say that it's not okay to believe in something that may or may not be true is ridiculous. Some people like to have that mystical fantasy in the world. It adds flavor."
donnyton

Postby helo darqness » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:40 pm

donnyton wrote:Wait, I'm still not completely sure about one statistic.

When they ask "Can people from other religions get eternal life" it's possible that many Christians answer "yes" on the survey but REALLY mean "yes if they convert to Christianity" but the survey may just take it as "yes their religion can get them eternal life"

Anybody else notice that?

mmmm....but if they convert, theyre not part of a different religion anymore. its like saying "can a vegetarian eat meat?"..."yes. if they stop being a vegetarian." i DO see what youre saying, and its an interesting point, but if thats what they really mean when they say 'yes' then its a pretty weak argument.

there are christians ive met who are level-headed (though they are few and far between) who think that being a kind, charitable, honest person can get you into heaven regardless of your religion, who see nothing wrong with homosexuality and dont take the bible literally. so perhaps some of the people in the poll feel that way.
If God controls the land and disease,
Keeps a watchful eye on me,
If he's really so damn mighty,
My problem is I can't see,
Well who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby donnyton » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 am

Well it's happened MANY times on the AE show where a caller will phone in and a conversation will be as follows.

Host: "The bible is immoral...for example it says that I deserve to go hell."

Caller: "Nono, you have a fair chance at heaven. You just have to be saved."

Host: "Exactly, so right now you think I deserve to go to hell."

Caller: "No, only if you're unsaved you'll go to hell. But everybody has a chance."

The other qualm I have is that many reasonable Christians may BELIEVE that all other religious peoples go to hell but are afraid to say it because they don't want to appear bigoted. It's happened on the show as well.

Host: "So I deserve to go to hell?"

Caller: "Well I'm not your judge. God's your judge."

Host: "Do you agree with God?"

Caller: "I don't know, I can't judge you, but you'll get what's coming once you'll die, that's all I can say."
"To say that it's not okay to believe in something that may or may not be true is ridiculous. Some people like to have that mystical fantasy in the world. It adds flavor."
donnyton

Postby helo darqness » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 am

yeah, i knew a Christain who was the most callous person ive ever met. just some of the things she said:

-"well, i guess i just think that all non-christains deserve to go to hell"
"oh, so all those innocent victims on 9/11 who weren't chrisains, went to hell?"
"well, yeah."

-(i identified myself as jewish for a long time, even though i wasnt practicing. i had been blackmailed into getting a bar mitzvahed, literally by my schools headmaster) she said "it doesnt matter what you are. unless you convert, youll burn in hell forever"

-she said that homosexuality was immoral, but was open about being gay herself. however, she said jesus forgave her becuause she was born again. she still likes girls, but only sleeps with guys. when she got knocked up, she said "god didnt do that to me. it was satan."

i dont know what rules she lived by, but even fellow fundamentalists looked at her like we look at fundies.
If God controls the land and disease,
Keeps a watchful eye on me,
If he's really so damn mighty,
My problem is I can't see,
Well who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby DallasHeathen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Did the poll ask about getting into heaven, or about "eternal life"? 'Cause the traditional Christian view of hell *is* eternal life, is it not?

Anyway, the discussions here about hell should recognize that a significant portion of US Christians reject the idea of hell anyway. Something like 1/3 IIRC.
Is there a God? Find the answer at The Official God FAQ.
DallasHeathen

Return to Media Madness