WTF is the trinity?

Open discussion for all registered members.

WTF is the trinity?

Postby LoneMateria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 pm

I've recently been debating with my buddy and we got into a discussion about the trinity. The conversation started when i tried to show him that the bible references other gods from the old text of genesis, "In the beginning the creator gods made the heavens and the earth." and when God said, "Lets make man in OUR image."

Without him citing any bible passages or presenting anything to defend his point of view he plainly asserted that it was referring to the trinity. We got into a your wrong no your wrong sort of situation so I ended it by asking what the trinity was exactly. He made some statement that said they were the same but different. When i said there were 3 that then there were 3 gods with the same powers that its not monotheism, he responded that they were all part of his god. Which made me ask him if his god is like Voltron? Anyway to make a long story short we went no where and I was hoping that someone here had a ... somewhat clearer and less confusing way to explain wtf this trinity bullshit is.
"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages"
~~Richard Lederer
LoneMateria

Postby Mythman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, the Trinity bullshit is just that: bullshit. It's the "father, son, holy ghost" thing. The thing that confuses me about this is that he seems to be saying that Jesus (the son) was there to help create the earth, about four thousand (depending on his beliefs) years before he was born. Guess he was just hangin' out in heaven until then...

Anyway, according to the Christians, there's God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Ghost. They're all NOT each other, but they're all God. One god. Who is apparently suffering from multiple personality disorder.
Mythman

Postby LoneMateria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:37 pm

lol well I know the trinity is bullshit. Is this the same deal like with Hinduism where there is Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu?

The way you describe it still makes no sense to me. The 3 are part of the one so each deity is like a part of Voltron?

The part thats hanging me up is that they aren't the same thing but they are. wtf? To me that sounds like my car engine is not radio but it is my radio.
"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages"
~~Richard Lederer
LoneMateria

Postby Mythman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Yes, it is rather like Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu, except I'm not sure they can all appear at once. To the best of my understanding, it's the Father and the Son of the trinity that matter most, and the Holy Ghost was just thrown in there because it's mentioned somewhere in the Bible. The important thing is that Jesus talks to God, so they can't be the same, right? But they're both God because if not then that denies the divinity of Jesus, thus making the sacrifice pointless, etc. etc.

It's not quite like Voltron, because (at least according to Wikipedia) Voltron is just multiple robots combining to make a bigger robot, whereas each part of the Trinity is supposed to be fully God. At the same time. Go figure.

The trinity isn't mentioned in the Bible, really. It's just a way the priests handwave the contradiction of Jesus both being God and referring to God as his father, and I think John is the book where the Holy Ghost is mentioned, so for some reason they threw that in there too. It's a way of being polytheistic while claiming to be monotheistic.

It's utter bullshit, and the fact is that the different sects can't even agree on what it means, which makes it useless bullshit, unless you want to point this out to your friend.
Mythman

Postby LoneMateria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 pm

I see what you mean and it clears up a lot of the confusion I had. If you get Christian sects together you cant get them to agree on anything ... especially since Mormonism is a sect of Christianity.

A side note on the holy ghost (boo motherfucker :-D). I think, if I remember right, that Jesus made a few references to the holy ghost while talking to his mindless fuck subjects.

A side note about Voltron :-p. Each robot is good on its own but together its awesome. I meant the reference to be each part of the trinity was a part of a whole. The way my buddy tried to describe it was that each part of the trinity had its own function its own... territory if you will ... in which only that specific deity could act. So when you put the 3 together you make a god. Kinda like Voltron.
~~Richard Lederer
LoneMateria

Postby Edward » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:23 pm

LoneMateria wrote:the holy ghost (boo motherfucker :-D)

This is quite appropriate, given the circumstances... Mary, mother of Jesus, impregnated by God, who is Jesus, both of which is* (*not "are", very important) the holy ghost...

God fucked his own mom. No wonder they're so screwed up...
Edward

Return to General Discussion