help me, oh wise ones

Open discussion for all registered members.

help me, oh wise ones

Postby helo darqness » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 am

someone replied to me with an email on youtube with this comment:

You are sooooooo wrong! God moves people , and if you could get a taste of that you would feel just like a Christian. Christian's don't think they are better than everyone else, They just have a saviour that is better than everything. YOU ARE WORSHIPING THE PRINCE OF LIES!

No! Christians do not hate, or kill. Why do you want to worship something that is evil? God is the best thing in this world. You are so dumb for being an atheist.

so i want to reply with a list of maybe 10 or so passages from the bible (im not too well versed, and i want to hit back hard...not that it will make a difference). so i need some good quotes/passages...each preferably from a different book.

thanks!
If God controls the land and disease,
Keeps a watchful eye on me,
If he's really so damn mighty,
My problem is I can't see,
Well who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby kyokuma_jr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Um... what exactly do you want to emphasize by your answer?

The entire letter was so... :? I don't think I would bother replying at all. Except maybe "calling a POE".

"YOU ARE WORSHIPING THE PRINCE OF LIES! "
But you're an atheist, right? What do they even mean by this statement?

"No! Christians do not hate, or kill. "
Um maybe check out http://www.evilbible.com/
You could find some useful quotes. I'm not sure what you're exactly looking for, so...
"Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks" (Psalms 137:9).
kyokuma_jr

Postby kyokuma_jr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:32 pm

PS;

to the last dumb part: (Matthew 7:2) For with whatever judgment you judge, you shall be judged; and with whatever measure you measure out, it shall be measured to you again.

"Whosoever shall say 'Thou fool' (the meaning is the same as dumb here in my opinion) shall be in danger of hell fire" - (Matthew 5:22)"
is Also a bit similar.
kyokuma_jr

Re: help me, oh wise ones

Postby eimerian » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

helo darqness wrote:YOU ARE WORSHIPING THE PRINCE OF LIES!

YOU ARE WORSHIPPING THE LOCK OF CAPS!!

helo darqness wrote:Christian's don't think they are better than everyone else...You are so dumb for being an atheist.

:roll:
eimerian

Postby scorby22 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm

call him out for his Christian solipsism; then ask him if there's no libraries where he lives so the only thing he can read is the Bible?
scorby22

Postby kyokuma_jr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:55 pm

scorby22 wrote:call him out for his Christian solipsism; then ask him if there's no libraries where he lives so the only thing he can read is the Bible?

Oh... it's not nice making fun of those financialy challenged living in third world countries... :roll:
kyokuma_jr

Postby Sans_Deity » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:18 pm

I doubt quoting the Bible will have any effect on this individual. In fact, I doubt they know much about their Bible at all - or care.

They're making an argument for direct experience as evidence of truth. The response is simple:

If your belief is justified by direct experience, that's fine. I haven't had any such experience, despite being open to it and following instructions given by many different people on how to attain it. I see no reason that I should be expected to believe in the absence of such experience - so what you really need to be doing is praying that I'll have an experience that qualifies.

Of course, you'll have to dumb it down:

If you believe because you feel god, then it's wrong for you to criticize someone else because they haven't felt god and don't believe - just pray that I'll feel god. While you're at it, ask god to tell you exactly WHEN he'll reveal himself to me, and then we'll also have some hard evidence that we can use to lead others to god.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby helo darqness » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Sans_Deity wrote:I doubt quoting the Bible will have any effect on this individual. In fact, I doubt they know much about their Bible at all - or care.

They're making an argument for direct experience as evidence of truth. The response is simple:

If your belief is justified by direct experience, that's fine. I haven't had any such experience, despite being open to it and following instructions given by many different people on how to attain it. I see no reason that I should be expected to believe in the absence of such experience - so what you really need to be doing is praying that I'll have an experience that qualifies.

Of course, you'll have to dumb it down:

If you believe because you feel god, then it's wrong for you to criticize someone else because they haven't felt god and don't believe - just pray that I'll feel god. While you're at it, ask god to tell you exactly WHEN he'll reveal himself to me, and then we'll also have some hard evidence that we can use to lead others to god.

-Matt

always the sharp one, you never cease to impress me. thanks matt. Thats a much better response than I could ever have come up with on my own.
Well who would wanna be?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby donnyton » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:30 am

Eh, perhaps I'm lazy but I see no reason to waste your time with this person.
"To say that it's not okay to believe in something that may or may not be true is ridiculous. Some people like to have that mystical fantasy in the world. It adds flavor."
donnyton

Postby helo darqness » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 am

nah i decided to let it go myself
Well who would wanna be?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby Thousand » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am

The effort has already been put in to come up with a great response. You might as well use it.
Thousand

Postby helo darqness » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Thousand wrote:The effort has already been put in to come up with a great response. You might as well use it.

okay...i will. im about to go to bed, but when i get up and my head is clear ill put some together.

ill combine matts with some good quotes
Well who would wanna be?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Two parts to ask about

Postby dobbie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:28 am

It's a year old thread but I'd like to comment: If you were still on a talking basis with the Christian, you might have asked him about these comments of his (hers?):

>theRemark: YOU ARE WORSHIPING THE PRINCE OF LIES!<
You could have asked in what sense are "You are worshiping the prince of lies." As they stand right now they are like weasel words. Did the guy have anything to add to it?

>You are so dumb for being an atheist.<
Well, that one is name calling. No informative discussion going on there. Earlier the guy said that Christians don't hate. But, well, name calling like that isn't exactly a love poem.
dobbie

Postby BahRayMew » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 am

I second Don's motion.

This guy's biggest problem isn't the religion thing. He's behaving like an asshat.

But I did gain something from this thread. "Christian solipsism" perfectly describes my recent encounters with faith:
- There are people who recognize and will admit that their faith is a convenient placebo.
- There is the annoying presumption of believers about what they think you think. This is usually hastily constructed whole-cloth out of whatever flat stereotype they have in their head -- to hell with internal consistency. (You worship Satan!)
- The Christian amorality justified by doing whatever God tells you to do. (Story of Abraham)

It fits to a "T." Somehow, I find myself delighted by this. As if I've found the perfect boot that fits.
BahRayMew

Return to General Discussion