Omnipotence Paradox Resolved

If you're a believer, looking for a debate or attempting to make a correction - this forum is just for you!

Postby DjVortex » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 am

DukeTwicep wrote:Well, as God would be a god I assume he could "fine-tune" the laws of physics to disallow any black holes to be formed.

That would mean there's no gravity, and again the question becomes flawed.

Also, it doesn't resolve the conceptual paradox of "lift it from where?" For it to be "lifted" from somewhere, that something would actually have to be even larger and heavier than the "rock" (because else the situation would be inverted).

The question thus is equivalent to: "Can God make something exist that cannot exist?" Hence it's equivalent to "can God break logical absolutes?"
DjVortex

Postby DukeTwicep » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:21 pm

DjVortex wrote:
DukeTwicep wrote:Well, as God would be a god I assume he could "fine-tune" the laws of physics to disallow any black holes to be formed.

That would mean there's no gravity, and again the question becomes flawed.

Also, it doesn't resolve the conceptual paradox of "lift it from where?" For it to be "lifted" from somewhere, that something would actually have to be even larger and heavier than the "rock" (because else the situation would be inverted).

The question thus is equivalent to: "Can God make something exist that cannot exist?" Hence it's equivalent to "can God break logical absolutes?"

Well.. I guess I can answer with: Can unicorns lift elves?
DukeTwicep

Re: Omnipotence Paradox Resolved

Postby raymond » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm

you guys/girls didnt resolve anything, you just mucked up the paradox

"can god make a rock that god cannot lift"

if he does make this rock then he fails because then there's something that he cant do, lift the rock

if he is so powerful he then gains +1 strength and lifts the rock, then he FAILS and didnt create a rock he himself could not lift, the process doesn't start over again and again and again, thats it, game over

it doesn't go in circles into infinity, and it doesnt matter where he's lifting the rock, how heavy the rock actually is, what its made of etc

this is a perfect example as to why god nor anything else can be omnipotent
raymond

Re: Omnipotence Paradox Resolved

Postby sepia » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:20 pm

I find the soultion interesting. Maybe it works with some definitions of omnipotence. But it leads to an other problem:

If something can do everything, is it able to increase its abilitys without decreasing it first?

Increasing ones abilities is an action. So it should be an ability of someone being able to do every action. But it implies, that there are actions which can't yet be done. Therefor it implies that the being can't do every action.
sepia

Previous

Return to Believer's Backlash