Slit my wrists with Occam's Razor

Open discussion for all registered members.

Which is worse...

Applying Occam's Razor to your side without knowing jack shit about the other?
29%
Knowing both sides, but not knowing how to apply Occam's Razor (meaning the inability to recognise and apply logic and reason)?
71%

Total votes : 7

Slit my wrists with Occam's Razor

Postby eebamxela » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:38 am

The guy that called in on the AE #497 episode (redefining words) at the 53:50 minute mark struck a nerve with me. He claimed that the "make it so" from god makes more sense than the gradual progression genetic mutations over time of evolution.

Which is worse...

The fact that he doesn't know shit about evolution?

Or the fact that (assuming he does know about evolution) he doesn't know how to apply logic and reason to see that "let there be light and life" makes no fucking sense?
eebamxela

Postby Erik » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:38 pm

I'll take number two. It seems like the classic flaw in applying Occam's Razor. He thinks it means the explanation that takes the fewest words to explain, not the explanation that requires the fewest assumptions.

We can demonstrate that genetic change takes place and this has been happening for a very long time. There isn't a need for a bunch of assumptions of a supernatural being and it's various abilities to manipulate the universe in unknown ways.
Erik

Re: Slit my wrists with Occam's Razor

Postby Kazim » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:31 pm

eebamxela wrote:The guy that called in on the AE #497 episode (redefining words) at the 53:50 minute mark struck a nerve with me. He claimed that the "make it so" from god makes more sense than the gradual progression genetic mutations over time of evolution.

Which is worse...

The fact that he doesn't know shit about evolution?

Or the fact that (assuming he does know about evolution) he doesn't know how to apply logic and reason to see that "let there be light and life" makes no fucking sense?

Um, he doesn't know shit about evolution. I think his tirade about how evolution means that "a fish turned into a cow turned into a monkey" or whatever, proves that he doesn't.
If you did not like the writing style in this message, then you will certainly not enjoy my blog, which is at:
http://kazimskorner.blogspot.com/
Kazim
Iron Chariots Admin

Re: Slit my wrists with Occam's Razor

Postby eebamxela » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Kazim wrote:Um, he doesn't know shit about evolution. I think his tirade about how evolution means that "a fish turned into a cow turned into a monkey" or whatever, proves that he doesn't.

I couldn't agree more with that. I was just posing a hypothetical to prove contradiction/irony.
eebamxela

Return to General Discussion