"View new posts" link works exactly once

Feedback, questions and concerns about the forums

"View new posts" link works exactly once

Postby DallasHeathen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:53 pm

Let's say that I open up the General Discussion forum and see four threads with new posts since my last visit. Each of those four thread titles will be preceded by a "View new posts" link (a little yellow paper icon). If I click on one of those, I'm taken to the first post in that thread since my last visit. Great.

But if I then click on another one of those icons, to view the new posts in a second thread, I get an almost-empty page that says "No new posts since your last visit." So then I have to click the thread title, start at the first post, and find the point in the thread where I left off.

Other forums that I use don't have this issue. Does everyone else see the same thing?

I use Firefox, and would normally middle-click on all four icons one right after the other, to open up four new tabs for those threads, but that doesn't work at this site.
Is there a God? Find the answer at The Official God FAQ.
DallasHeathen

Postby Sans_Deity » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm

Apart from not being the latest version, there's nothing special about this forum. If you want to dig around the PHPBB forums to see if this a known issue with a solution, please do... but it's such a low priority issue that I can pretty much promise I won't be getting around to it any time soon. :(

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby bugsoup » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:43 pm

I don't have a problem middle-clicking in Firefox 1.5.0.12. I have the Tab Mix Plus extension installed, if that makes a difference. One way I guarantee the "view new posts" page works is to back-page until I get back to it instead of clicking links elsewhere to get there. Hope that helps.
bugsoup

Postby DallasHeathen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:18 am

Interesting - are you saying that if you middle-click each of three or four of the "view new post" icons, that each will load up a page at the correct place?

I also have disabled JavaScript - I wonder whether that matters.
DallasHeathen

Postby bugsoup » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:28 pm

Yup. Not sure if the JavaScript matters, though. I consider this a safe site, so I don't block them here.
bugsoup

Postby DallasHeathen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:59 am

Well, I enabled JavaScript for ironchariots.org, but it made no difference. I have to carefully choose which one thread I'd like to be able to find the place I've left off at, because after that, I get the error.

One other difference: I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4.
DallasHeathen

Postby Dust » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:57 pm

I'm not experiencing this problem at all.
Dust

Postby spblat » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Ditto. I don't have this problem. Only issue I have is the occasional server error on posting which causes some people to inadvertently double-post.
Visit my blog or my forum for more rants
spblat

Return to Forum Feedback